Sometimes you get addicted to a few things in life as soon as you taste them! Overnight oats is one such thing for me. Not because it just takes a few minutes to make and you get ready made breakfast the next day morning, that’s added Bonus, but because it’s just pure bliss!
I hate mushy porridge and slowly have realized that my family also prefers crunchy over mushy! So is the solution crunchy porridge? No! Porridge can’t be crunchy and hence my quest to find something close to a crunchy porridge has led me to overnight oats. I am so glad it did!
Since the oats sit overnight in a merry mixture of milk, fruit pulp and/or fresh fruits, it soaks in all the flavors and what you get the next morning is a sweet, slightly chewy, flavor packed bowl of deliciousness! Try it to believe it!
Here, I have made two different flavor combinations, many more to come! I am going to flood you with ideas on this one for sure!
The one with strawberries was purely because I had a lot of seasonal strawberries lying around and I also had strawberry jam (which I made at home with sour strawberries). This one was perfect as it had a slight tartness from the strawberries.
The one with Apple and Cinnamon was because I am in love with this flavor combination. It’s a comforting, warming flavor and perfect for winters!
I have shared the basic recipe and then the flavor combinations.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 0 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Overnight Oats: Healthy ready to be served breakfast which can be put together in minutes ahead of time!
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serving Size: 2 Serving
- Rolled oats – 1/2 cup
- Yoghurt – 4 tbs
- Milk – 1.5 cup
- Honey or Maple syrup – 6 tbs or as per taste
- Chia seeds or Sabja seeds – 2 tbs
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp or Vanilla extract – 1/2 tsp
- Pinch of salt
For Apple Cinnamon
- Apple, chopped or diced – 1 small
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
- Strawberry Syrup (Homemade or store bought) – 2 tbsp
- Fresh/Frozen Strawberries, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Mix all the ingredients ‘For Base’ together and divide in 2 jars/bowls.
- Mix chopped apples and cinnamon powder in one.
- Mix strawberry syrup and chopped strawberries in the other.
- Mix them both slightly and put in the fridge overnight or for minimum 4 hours.
- Serve it cold.