Khichri is the ultimate comfort food. It’s the super daddy of all comfort foods at least in my kitchen. We don’t need a reason to eat khichri, although there are many: too tired to cook today, don’t have time to cook, feeling a bit sick, missing mom’s food, nothing at home to cook, and the list is never ending.
But yes, khichri although a soul food, can be a bit boring sometimes to the palate. For the very reason, it is consumed with a side of spicy pickle most of the time. I thought of making an interesting twist to the boring khichri by the addition of pickled mixed vegetables instead. We get the fibre and also a contentment of the spice factor which goes beautifully with the bland khichri.
So stop eating pickles and try mixed vegetables instead.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Khichri with Achari Masala Vegetables: A very light moong dal & rice porridge made in ghee with tangy and spicy dry mixed vegetables.
Recipe type: Dinner/Lunch
Serving Size: 2
- Small grain rice or broken basmati – 1/4 cup
- Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Ghee – 1 tbs
- Asafoetida – One pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1.5 cups
Achari Masala Vegetables
- Mixed Vegetable, diced (Carrot, Beans, Peas, Cauliflower) – 1 cup
- Boiled potatoes or cottage cheese (paneer), diced – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tbs
- Achari Masala Powder – 1 tbs
- Curd – 2 tbs
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Wash and soak rice and dal together for 7-8 minutes in 1.5 cups of water.
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee and when it’s hot add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- Once it splutters, add soaked dal and rice.
- Add turmeric powder and salt, cover with lid and pressure cook on low heat for 3-4 whistles.
For Mixed Vegetable
- In a pan, heat oil and add all the mixed vegetables.
- Add salt, mix, cover and cook until vegetables are soft and done.
- Now mix the achari masala with curd and add the curd mixture to the mixed vegetables along with paneer or boiled potatoes.
- Mix well and stir on high heat for at least a couple of minutes until everything is well coated with the masala.
- Switch off the gas and sprinkle fresh coriander and serve with khichri.