One look at this salad and your day will light up! And one bite of this salad and I guarantee you more rumbling because the tummy would want more and more.
You eat with your eyes first, it’s true especially for this salad. It’s a rainbow of colors in your bowl and a riot of sweet, salty, tangy & spicy in your mouth.
The dressing is quite extra ordinary. The sweet from the peanut butter, the salty from the soy sauce, the spicy from the chili and the sour from lemon. The result is lip smackingly good!
I never used to like Tofu and had give up on them for a long time, until this salad came in my life! I ordered it just to see if it works out and was totally prepared for a disaster again. To my surprise, I not only liked it, I grilled some extra tofu just for myself later with the left over dressing. It can be a starter on it’s own and so easy to prepare. I love it!
This has been a turning point of sorts in my kitchen as far as salads are concerned. They are no longer boring, I play with more flavor combinations now for the dressing, add as many colors to the salad as I can, add different textures and what you get is a complete meal.
Enjoy the rainbow in your house while I make some more for this space and the hungry tummy in me. I am going to make this again and click a better picture. This was one of the first clicks which I took at night with artificial lighting (I know you can tell).
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Salad with Grilled Tofu and Spicy Peanut Butter Dressing: Colorful salad with a spicy, tangy, sweet and salty peanut butter dressing and grilled tofu
Recipe type: Dinner/Lunch, Side
Cuisine: Asian Inspired
Serving Size: 2
- Red Cabbage, thinly sliced – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum, thinly sliced – 1/2 cup
- Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, thinly sliced – 1 cup
- Rice noodles or regular noodles, boiled – 1 cup
- Carrot, thinly sliced – 1/2 cup
- Fresh Mint leaves – 1/4 cup
- Tofu, cubed – 100 gms (Alternative – Paneer/Chicken)
- Peanut Butter – 3 tbs
- Honey – 1 tbs (for added sweetness if required)
- Soy sauce – 1 tbs
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Red chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
- Garlic, crushed – 2-3 cloves
- Olive oil – 1 tsp
- Make the marinade by mixing together peanut butter, olive oil, red chilli flakes, lime juice, garlic and soy sauce well. A quick whirl in the mixer grinder will help mix things up well. Add water for a nice flowy consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and keep aside.
- Marinate pieces of Tofu in half of this mixture for at least half an hour (or more if possible).
- Just before serving the salad, grill the marinated pieces of Tofu on high heat for a couple of minutes or until nicely charred from outside (don’t cook for more than 4 minutes otherwise Tofu will turn chewy).
- Now mix all the salad ingredients, grilled tofu and pour the dressing on the salad.
- Enjoy warm tofu with fresh cold salad.