An excellent source of folate and manganese, beetroot is one of the few vegetables which brings color and health to the food we eat. Beetroot is loved as a pickle, in curd preparations, as a dip and simply raw in salads.
My fondness for beetroot stems from my childhood memories of the train journeys we would take to Kolkata in our summer vacations from Delhi. I would look forward to breakfast when those heart shaped beetroot patties would do the round. Crispy fried outer covering with three prominent flavors of black pepper, beetroot and potato.
I tried to rekindle the magic and nostalgia with these shallow fried patties. Here’s my beetroot and potato patty, shallow fried to perfection, a perfect snack for toddlers and adults alike!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Beetroot and Potato Patty: Healthy shallow fried patty with the goodness of beetroot
Recipe type: Snack
Serving Size: Makes 8 Patties
- Grated beetroot – 1 cup
- Crushed peanut – 1/4 cup
- Ginger, grated – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chaat Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Potato, boiled and mashed – 1 cup
- Fresh coriander, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Rawa – 3 tbs
- Oil – 1 tbs & to shallow fry patty
- Add 1 tbs oil in a pan and add grated beetroot and ginger. Saute for a few minutes till it’s soft.
- Add salt, chaat masala, black pepper powder and cumin powder. Mix well and switch off the gas.
- Now add the mixture in mashed potato and add lemon juice, fresh coriander. Mix well and make equal sized flat and round patties.
- Spread rawa on a plate and slowly tap the patty from all sides till it’s fully coated with rawa. Do this for all patties.
- Heat a griddle and shallow fry these patties with very little oil on both sides till golden brown and crisp from outside.
- Serve hot with hung curd or red chili sauce dip or green chutney!