Mac and Cheese is one of those “full of guilt” dishes which you can’t resist making and eating at least on days when you need comforting. And we are all allowed those cheat days, aren’t we?
I have tried making this as healthy as possible. We can’t avoid the “Mac” and the “Cheese” in the Mac and Cheese but the white sauce is made out of olive oil and whole wheat flour. With the use of a secret ingredient, check out the recipe for that, I have even reduced the need for a whole lot of cheese in the recipe. It still tastes cheesy, creamy and comforting!
I love the way the photos have turned up for this one! It totally describes my mood on this day! Creamy, cheesy, peppery goodness! We will dive right into the recipe now.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Polka Dots Baked Mac&Cheese: Baked mac and cheese with white sauce, bell peppers and tomato sauce
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: World Cuisine
Serving Size: 3
- Olive oil – 2 tbs
- Garlic, crushed – 1 tsp
- Red and Yellow bell peppers, finely chopped – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour – 2 tbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mustard Sauce – 1/2 tsp (secret ingredient)
- Milk – 2.5 cups
- Fresh parsley, chopped – 1 tbs
- Marinara sauce – 1/2 cup (optional)
- Macaroni Pasta – 2 cups
- Grated cheese – 1/2 cup
- Boil water in a big sauce pan, add a tsp of salt.
- Once water comes to a boil, add pasta and cook till al dente (just done).
- For white sauce, add olive oil in a pan and sauté garlic and peppers for a couple of minutes. Peppers should retain the crunch.
- Now add whole wheat flour and saute for half a minute, until the raw smell of the flour disappears.
- Now add warm milk and keep stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Now add salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta once done and add it to the white sauce.
- Mix well and add the pasta in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with parsley, cheese and put polka dots with marinara sauce or ketchup if you like or you can leave it as is.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 200 degree C.
- Serve hot.