I love the fact that this humble vegetable “cauliflower” is causing so many ripples in the food world or may be I was living under the rock up until now because all I could think of making with a cauliflower was “gobhi matar” (cauliflower and peas dry veg preparation).
Although still a bit new for my Indian pallate and would take time for me to get used to “cauliflower rice” but hey!!! Stop right there! I did make it suitable to my pallate and in this post I am sharing my first ever (I think) “cauliflower rice biryani”! Now I can say I am riding the new wave too! The cauliflower wave!
So this recipe was born simply because I couldn’t have cauliflower without the spices I have grown up eating. I made the cauliflower rice fragrant with all the dry aromatics a typical biryani recipe uses and served it with a mixed vegetable semi-dry preparation. Perfect! Absolute must try!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Cauliflower Rice Biryani: Vegetable biryani with cauliflower rice.
Recipe type: Dinner/Lunch
Cuisine: Fusion Cuisine
Serving Size: 2
- Cauliflower, Medium – 1
- Clarified butter – 2 tbsp
- Big cardamom – 1
- Green cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2 inch
- Star anise – 1
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Boiled mixed vegetable (carrot, beans, etc.) – 1 cup
- Cottage cheese, cubed – 1/2 cup
- Tomato puree – 1 cup
- Onions, chopped – 1/2 cup
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Slit green chilies – 2
- Biryani masala – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Coriander, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Roasted cashews for garnish
- Grate the cauliflower florets. Wash thoroughly and drain to remove all the moisture. Use a napkin if needed to soak moisture.
- In a deep skillet, add 1 tbsp clarified batter. Add cumin seeds and once it crackles, add big cardamom, green cardamom, star anise, cinnamon and cloves.
- Now add grated cauliflower, salt and pepper 1/2 tsp.
- Mix well, cover and cook for a couple of minutes until the rice is soft (not too soft otherwise the whole dish will go mushy).
- Remove the lid and fry for a minute on high heat to get some browning. Switch off the gas and keep the cauliflower rice aside.
- In another skillet, add 1 tbsp clarified butter.
- Now add slit green chilies, onions, ginger and garlic paste. Fry till golden brown.
- Now add tomato puree and fry till oil separates.
- Add biryani powder, salt and pepper 1/2 tsp, cumin powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Add chopped coriander, boiled mixed vegetable and cubed cottage cheese.
- Mix well till all the vegetables are coated with the tomato mixture.
- Switch off the gas and keep aside.
- To assemble, take cauliflower rice in a serving dish. Put a few spoonfuls of the cottage cheese and vegetable mixture on top.
- Garnish with mint leaves and roasted cashews.
- Serve hot with curd or raita!
Note: This may well be made into a “Vegan” dish if you skip the curd and the cottage cheese! Use Olive oil instead of the clarified butter.