Kick start the day with these velvety, creamy eggs in a perfect tangy tomato chickpea sauce. It’s a staple breakfast now at our place.
When I first came across this Moroccan dish, I was a bit reluctant to make it because the egg was visible and since I have grown up not consuming eggs on a daily basis, this definitely was a put off. I let go of my inhibitions one day to just see how it came out and there has been no turning back ever since.
Shakshouka has it’s origin in the Moroccan region but a similar dish is made in many parts of the world. It’s popular in the Middle east, UK, India mainly Parsi community, for their love of eggs on anything “gravy”. Tamota par ida is the Parsi counterpart of this recipe.
It’s healthy, it’s wholesome, it’s delicious and gets ready in minutes, makes this recipe an absolute go to week per week as breakfast or dinner for that matter. I would love an egg white only Shakshuka with some fresh green salad for dinner. I just want to dig in! Happy mornings!
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Shakshouka with chickpeas: Soft cooked eggs with tomatoes and chickpeas.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: Fusion Cuisine
Serving Size: 2
- Eggs – 4
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes, chopped – 2
- Onion, chopped – 1
- Garlic, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Chickpeas, boiled – 1/4 cup
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Parsley for garnish
- In a non stick pan or a cast iron skillet (not more than 8 inches), add oil.
- Once hot, add onion and garlic. Fry until soft and golden brown.
- Add tomatoes and fry for 4 to 5 minutes until the raw smell of tomato disappears.
- Add the chickpeas, cumin powder, black pepper, salt, sugar and garam masala powder.
- Mix well and make 4 depressions with the back of a spoon.
- Break all four eggs one by one (make sure the yolk is intact) in the four depressions.
- Sprinkle some salt on top of the eggs.
- Cover and cook till the eggs are cooked. You can check after a few minutes if you like your eggs runny otherwise let the eggs cook for a couple more minutes.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley on top and serve hot.