Come summer and the craving for fresh, cold watermelon never ends! I can never get bored of watermelon! I am constantly looking for newer ways of serving the “Queen of summer fruit” (I just made that up! But don’t you agree?)!
Watermelon with chat masala or some rock salt, watermelon juice, watermelon slushie! You name it and I must have made it! But a pizza out of a watermelon is something I never made and I fail to understand why!
Watermelon naturally has a crust like outer covering which I always discard in a pizza (don’t you?)! It is naturally red in color and goes well with salty cheese and onions. It’s a no bake pizza, it’s healthy and ready in minutes! Do you need more reasons to make it? I made a little fancy with a drizzle of balsamic but you can always skip it!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Watermelon Pizza: Fresh watermelon pizza sices with onions, black olives, cheese and a drizzle of balsamic and honey reduction.
Recipe type: Appetizer/Snack
Cuisine: Fusion Cuisine
Serving Size: 2
- Watermelon – 1 big
- Onion, thinly sliced – 1 small
- Cheese, crumbled – 1/2 cup (Feta is preferable)
- Fresh Basil leaves – 1/4 cup
- Black olives, sliced – 1/4 cup
- Balsamic vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Wash the watermelon and wipe dry.
- With the help of a sharp knife, cut half inch thin round slices horizontally from the part which is wider to resemble a pizza crust.
- Simply garnish these pizza slices with a sprinkle of sliced onions, black olives, fresh basil leaves, crumbled cheese (I have used processed cheese but Feta is preferable) and a sprinkle of parsley.
- Heat honey in a small skillet and add balsamic vinegar. Cook on low heat till it thickens a bit (not too much otherwise it will be sticky and unusable).
- Drizzle this reduction on the pizza slices once cold.
- Cut and serve chilled.