I love a perfectly grilled masala sandwich! It’s the ultimate food when you want a quick bite. It’s perfectly spiced with a sandwich masala powder, bread grilled to perfection, crispy and moist at the same time, layered with vegetable slices, potatoes, cottage cheese and layers and layers of that wonderful mint chutney. You don’t need anything after that for hours together!
Have you ever tasted the vegetable grilled sandwich at Santacruz or Ghatkopar Khao Gali in Mumbai? You await your turn eagerly and see the sandwich being made right in front of you. There is a huge queue! Yes, it’s that famous all day long, all seasons!
I have added my own healthy twist. Why you ask? Well because I am cutting down on white food from my diet and the first one to be kicked out is “bread”. It would be an understatement if I said I liked bread. I was addicted and couldn’t start my day without two pieces of toast every single day with my piping hot masala tea.
So coming back to the twist, I made the sandwich with savory chickpea pancakes. Everything else remains the same and believe me the taste also remains the same without that perfect crunch of course, which can only come with a white sandwich bread.
Here’s the recipe for the masala sandwich with a healthy twist!
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Chickpea Pancake Sandwich Stack: Healthy sandwich made of savory chickpea pancakes with layers of sliced vegetables, cottage cheese and mint chutney.
Recipe type: Snack
Serving Size: 2
- Tomatoes, sliced – 1
- Red and Yellow Bell Pepper, sliced – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum, sliced – 1/2 cup
- Cottage cheese, thinly sliced – 80 gms (Boiled potatoes or Tofu to make it Vegan)
- Chat Masala Powder – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cheese to sprinkle (optional – Opt out to make it Vegan)
- Coriander Mint Chutney – 1/2 cup
For the chickpea flour pancake
- Chickpea flour – 1 cup
- Sour Curd – 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Carom seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander, chopped – 2 tbsp
- Water as required for a thick consistency
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Make the pancake batter by mixing all the ingredients for the pancake together, except for oil. Keep aside
- Heat a flat pan or griddle and once hot, pour half a ladle of the batter for a small pancake. You can put two or three together if the size of the pan allows.
- Cook on one side and drizzle very little oil on the sides of the pancakes.
- Flip them and cook on the other side until light golden brown.
- To assemble, take a pancake and apply coriander mint chutney on one side.
- Layer with yellow, red bell pepper and cottage cheese slices. Sprinkle some chat masala powder, black pepper and salt.
- Now put another pancake on top and apply some chutney again.
- Layer with sliced tomatoes, capsicum and sprinkle chat masala powder, black pepper and salt.
- Place the last pancake on top with chutney on the inner side.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top if using and enjoy as is or grill it in a sandwich griller.