Make the ever so loved Pizza a little less junky by making it at home with a whole wheat pizza base! You are sure to love this recipe I am sharing with you all here today.
This whole wheat pizza base recipe is now my go to recipe and I have been making Pizza at home since a long long time. We hardly ever order from outside now. It’s all the more tastier, healthier and you have full control over what you want to top the pizza with! Don’t compromise, improvise and make the pizza of your dream right at home! And if you do a few preparations a day before or over the weekend, the “Pizza Nights” will be easy and much less daunting!
Everything you need, to make pizza at home, is already there. No need to worry about special equipment! If you have an OTG, it definitely helps. But if you don’t have one, you can go ahead and make skillet pizza. Will be as good and will be ready in minutes!
This time, since I wanted to try the infamous Pizza Pie, I went ahead and made it into a Pizza Pie Basket instead with pretty handles and Parsley as my herb which complemented the basket so well.
I just loved clicking this pretty pie basket and was in no mood to eat it but then my impatient toddler, who was waiting for “her” pizza, pushed me to slice it and give that slice to her!
She loved to eat the pretty handles as well and demanded two of them! I love crispy bites and I don’t mind sharing those crispy little morsels with her! We both enjoyed our basket whereas daddy got a flat pizza of his own in the evening!
It’s just me being over indulgent here! You please go ahead and follow the recipe to make pizza as you like it! I am giving the pizza base recipe and a simple vegetarian pizza recipe!
Things you can do ahead are making the pizza bases a day ahead, pizza sauce and chilli oil, grate the cheese and keep in a zip lock or a container in the fridge. If you do all these steps ahead in time, then all you have to do is Prep for toppings (10 minutes), assemble (10 minutes) and bake (10 minutes).
Prep time: 20 (+1 hour of proofing time) mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 60 mins
Pizza at home from scratch: Whole wheat pizza base and a simple vegetarian pizza recipe.
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Italian Cuisine
Serving Size: 3 Large Size Pizza
- Whole wheat flour – 2 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tbsp
- Instant Yeast* – 1/2 tsp
- Olive oil or Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Water to knead
- Red Bell Pepper, diced – 1/2 cup
- Yellow Bell Pepper, diced – 1/2 cup
- Capsicum, diced – 1/2 cup
- Onion, diced – 1/2 cup
- Mushrooms, sliced – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Pizza Sauce* – 1 cup
- Chili oil Olive oil or Vegetable Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt to sprinkle
- Black pepper to sprinkle
- Oregano and red chili flakes to sprinkle
- Fresh basil – Handful (optional)
- Mozzarella cheese, grated – 1 cup
- If you are using dry active yeast, then take half cup of lukewarm water, add sugar and yeast and let it sit covered in a warm place for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- In a big bowl, take the whole wheat flour, salt.
- Mix the frothy yeast solution or if using instant yeast, then directly add the instant yeast and sugar.
- Knead into a soft dough which will be a bit sticky too initially.
- Keep kneading it with stretch and fold method for as long as it takes for the stickiness of the flour to go away.
- Now apply oil all over and keep it in a bowl covered with cling wrap. Keep the bowl in a warm place to let it proof to double it’s size. With instant yeast it should take around 45 minutes and with dry active yeast around 1 hour and 15 minutes but depends on the weather conditions as well.
- Once proofed, take the dough out and pound it with your knuckles to burst all the air pockets.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and shape them into round pizza bases which are as thick as half inch.
- Score the pizza bases with fork (leaving the sides intact) so that they don’t puff up. Cover and keep.
- Pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degree C.
- Keep the pizza bases one or two at a time, depending on your oven size, in the oven pan (not the grill), in the middle rack and bake it for 7-8 minutes.
- Take the bases out and bake the next two bases for 7-8 minutes.
- Now, brush the top of a pizza base with some oil (or chilli oil*). Spread the pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle half the cheese you want for one pizza now. Add the toppings of your choice (capsicum, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms), sprinkle the seasoning (salt, pepper, oregano, red chili flakes), top with fresh basil if using.
- Sprinkle half the cheese for one pizza now.
- Make other pizza’s similarly and bake them for another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and turned slightly brown.
- Serve hot.
Note: Replace Instant Yeast by Dry Active Yeast by increasing the amount by 25%.
For Pizza Sauce follow the recipe below:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, take olive oil (1 tbsp) and put finely chopped garlic (1 tbsp), optional celery (1 tbsp) and red chili flakes (1/2 tbsp). Saute for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped onion (1/2 cup) and sauté until soft. Now add the tomato (of 6 tomatoes) puree, salt and let the sauce simmer down to almost half its quantity (water will evaporate and sauce will become thick).
- Now add pepper, oregano, sugar, fresh basil torn and fresh parsley chopped as per taste.
For Chilli oil:
- In a heavy bottomed pan, take olive oil (3 tbsp) and put finely chopped garlic (2 tbsp) and saute on low heat until slightly brown.
- Now add red chili flakes (2 tbsp), salt and switch off the flame.
- Keep the chilli oil in a bottle and use it for a variety of things like dressing soups, spreads, or with pizza.