I am always thinking of innovative ideas to present the same dish we have been making since ages. One such breakfast dish is Sabudana Vada or Sabudana Khichdi.
Presenting Sabudana Vada Waffles! It’s pretty simple. Make the sabudana Vada mixture and shape them in waffle maker and make crispy waffles. Sabudana (or tapioca) crisps up well and it’s a delight to eat these waffles when served hot otherwise re-heat it in the waffle maker to stop serving a limp waffle.
I love this Maharashtrian dish, mainly because it somehow reminds me of the good times spent in Mumbai before and after marriage. Snacking outside? Sabudana Vada! Pit stop for breakfast while on a road trip? Sabudana Khichdi! Never disappoints. It’s filling and yummilicious (make that a word please)!
Here’s the easy recipe for Sabudana Vada Waffle! If you don’t have a waffle maker, simply shape them as “round tikkis” and shallow fry them on a griddle until crisp and done.
Prep time: 10 mins (+ 1 hour for soaking)
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Sabudana Vada Waffle: Sabudana (tapioca pearls) and potato waffles with peanuts.
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serving Size: 2
- Sabudana (Tapioca pearls) – 1/2 cup
- Mashed potatoes – 3/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies, finely chopped – 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Roasted Peanuts, crushed – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Fine sugar – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Soak the sabudana with equal amount of water in a large flat vessel so that all the pearls are submerged in water (don’t add more water otherwise they will become soggy and sticky while cooking). Soaking needs to happen for one hour for this recipe.
- Once soaked and the pearls become a bit soft, remove excess water (if any) and put them in a big bowl.
- Add mashed potatoes, salt, cumin powder, red chili powder, green chilies, coriander, crushed peanuts, sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix everything well.
- Heat the waffle maker and spread some oil on the waffle plates on both sides.
- Take half the mixture and place them in the cavity. Press with the waffle maker and cook till crisp and golden brown.
- Repeat the step and make another waffle. Serve hot with ketchup/chutney.