Hot Cross Buns! Hot Cross Buns! I love the melody and my spiced pav bhaji buns remind me of this! Hot, spicy, cheesy, crispy and soft goodness, all at the same time. Shouldn’t we reinvent these melodies the Indian way 🙂 , just a thought!
I love pav bhaji and whenever I make bhaji at home, it goes out of proportion every single time! So every time I have to come up with recipes to utilize the bhaji. This time around I smothered pav with bhaji, buttered it up, sprinkled some cheese and baked it to my satisfaction. What came out of the oven was heavenly!
This recipe is also special because with this I shot my first food video. It will be up soon on FB. Yayyy! I am so excited. Penning down the recipe for these “hot cross buns” here.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Baked Pav Bhaji Buns: Bhaji sandwiched between pav and topped with garlic butter and cheese, then baked to perfection.
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: Indian Fusion
Serving Size: 2
- Pav Bun – 1 packet of 6
- Pav Bhaji – 1/2 cup
- Butter, melted – 25 gms
- Phaji Masala – 1 tap
- Garlic, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Coriander, chopped – 1 tbsp
- Onion, finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Processed cheese, grated – 3/4 cup
- Red chili flakes – 1 tsp
- Spring onion greens, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes at 200 degree C.
- Carefully take the pav buns out of the packet. Don’t break them into indovidual pieces.
- Now cut the whole bun horizontally from the middle into two halves.
- Place one half (base side down) on a baking tray. Now make 4 equal incisions with a knife horizontally and one in the middle vertically. This is so that they are divided into bite size pieces.
- Spread bhaji on top and layer it with chopped onions and half the cheese.
- Now place the other half of the bun (front side up) on top of the bhaji, onion and cheese layer.
- Mix together butter, garlic, coriander and pav bhaji masala.
- Brush the prepared butter on top of the buns till it covers the whole top.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover with an aluminium foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Take it out of the oven, remove the foil and sprinkle spring onion greens, red chili flakes and enjoy hot.